Friday, November 22, 2013

A Little ThanksGiving Cheer....


A new club is starting at my school. The @EGHSmatters Club.

The goal of our club is to bring together all members of the school community to enhance our growing school culture that is based in the values of appreciation and kindness. The club will become a real-world extension of the online messages exchanged between and among faculty, students and parents that already happen through various channels including our internal teacher to teacher document and @EGHSmatters on Twitter.

We will endeavor to create a school culture where every student, teacher and staff member can unequivocally answer "yes" to the following questions:

Do you see me?
Do you hear me?
Do you care about me?
Do I matter to you?

How many text messages, Tweets, Facebook posts, Kiks, Instagrams, SnapChats, Vines, etc do you send out every day that are about you? Or about nothing at all?  

Wouldn't you rather take a moment to make someone’s day?  
Change someone's outlook?  
Change a life?  
Change the world?  

We can.  We will.

As Angela Maiers says, "You become far more interesting and important when you talk about the exciting things other people are doing, trying, creating, writing, and sharing. Doing so gives you the opportunity to make a lot of new friends and establish yourself as someone who is always learning and growing from others. Now, that’s an accomplishment worth talking about."

The first activity we are doing is a "ThanksGiving Thank You" to Teachers/Coaches/Faculty/Staff etc.
I made slips made that will allow students to have handwritten notes of appreciation and thanks delivered to any and all of their favorite adults in the building. There is something special about a handwritten note that people appreciate, it's much more personal.

So, today I spent all three lunches at the table where our kids fill out the forms.

Here are Today's Top Five Statements/questions by our kids, in order (by frequency):

#5. How much does this cost? (Nothing)

#4. What is this?

#3. This is such a good idea/I love this.

#2. I'm writing this to my English teacher, I hope they don't mind the spelling...

#1. There's so many teachers I need to thank, Can I take some of these home?

Gotta love our kids.




No comments:

Post a Comment